Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"I Think I Love You" or Why I don't hate Justin Bieber


I seemed to have missed the 60's pop acts, for the most part. We had these yearly encyclopedia volumes that covered the previous year, and I distinctly remember reading about Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin. Thing is, it had to have been several years after the fact. That music wasn't in my house, nor were the Beatles, who I pretty much missed as well.

So, where does that leave me?

With Shirley, Keith, Laurie, Danny, Chris and Tracy Partridge. Yes, The Partridge Family. I still have all their records. I think I have the Archies, too, along with a bunch of Carpenters. In fairness some of the Carpenters were my parents. I do not have my chronology straight here, but add into the mix the fine musical stylings of The Captain and Tennille. Think about that for a minute. Better yet, go to YouTube and find one of the zillion performances of "Muskrat Love". Now, pick your poison; Bieber or Cyrus. I'll take the latter, thank you very much.

Its pop music. Its goal is to get to Number One with a bullet. Its catchy, typically has a decent hook, and you can sing to it. And most often the performer didn't write it. It is what it is and there isn't anything wrong with it. Be a hater if you must.

I think the first concert I saw was David Cassidy at the Richmond Coliseum. The Bee Gees opened, but that was long before Saturday Night Fever. All I remember about that show was that David was wearing a white jump suit. Naturally he did some Partridge Family songs, but I'm sure most of it was centered around "Cherish" and lots of girls screaming.

Also around this time my 45 collection would include The Sweet's single "Little Willy". I think I was in third grade around this time and frankly I don't remember a ton more of the music I listened to then. Really I think it all picked up when I got to sixth grade, so I'll pick up the story then.

I feel like I should write something about Whitney Houston's passing, but I'm not sure what. She had great talent but like so many others was unable to deal with the things fame brought. RIP.

3 comments:

Uncle Atom said...

I confess to having watched the Partridge Family regularly, and I have The Archie's Sugar Sugar on this phone.

Anonymous said...

Two words: "Undercover Angel"

love,
Lage

Thor said...

I think you'll appreciate this...

http://i.imgur.com/08BGq.jpg