Wednesday, February 8, 2012

"Setting the Stage"

So what exactly am I trying to do here? Well, I had a desire to do some writing, tell some stories, share some experiences. I've always figured I could write something decent about music and what it has meant to me throughout my life. Kind of a "desert island discs" thing, but bigger. Then I figured there were more than a handful of releases that had a significant impact on me. Records that acted as a turning point in my tastes. Along side that, there are just records I still reach for and think are fantastic, even if they didn't steer me in a new direction.

So I will acknowledge that anyone who reads this is going to hate some of the music, and that's OK. My hope is that maybe you'll find something new to like. Also, if you know me, it might help you figure me out. Who knows. I remember some good high school friends talking to me after I got back from a semester at college wondering what had happened to me. This might help with that!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


There was music when I was little. My Mom mostly, although it could just be that she was the one at home with me. She played the piano some, and I know we sang. There was a stereo, but she mostly liked Broadway music, at least that's what I recall. Oh, and the Herb Alpert "Whipped Cream" album. I also remember The Fifth Dimension record "Age of Aquarius", a bit later on.

I had this little record player with a projection screen built in. There were slides that dropped down a slot with tone cues on the record. I used this for quite some time as my record player. In fact, I don't really remember when I got my first stereo, but probably late elementary school. It was one of those compact things that would fold up so you could take it with you. I think I used it a lot.

Hopefully this sets things up a little bit. Next post I'll reach back into the cobwebs of my brain and retrieve the first pop music I remember.

No comments: