Sunday, February 24, 2008

There Will Need to be Some Changes

So, finally got back out on the bike. It was the usual suspects; Ironwoman Extraordinaire TG40, Zumbalete Magnifique TGTD, and Universal Biking Harasser/Overall Great Guy, REB60.

Yet again REB had led me to believe that it was going to be 50, or some such garbage. Infact it was 38ish, maybe 18 I can't remember. And, throw in some rain/snow for good measure. At least I dressed appropriately.

We take off. I do think I got some draft action for awhile. Not from Reb, tho, he was feeling kinda rough and really not with it. While I missed drafting off of him, I can't fault the guy for bringing up the rear, at least he was out there. Somewhere, I took over the lead and just had at it. As I've blogged, I haven't been riding. That usually means I ride sort of hard because I don't know any better.

So, we're trucking along, I'm doing ok, somewhat out of breath, but you know, I'm pushing. I hear some shifting behind me so I know folks are there. I keep at it. Yeah, then I hear giggling. And conversation. Chatting, if you will. And, yes, its raining and I'm panting. We make it up to the halfwayish point. The girls are all smiles and roses, whilst I pant and reach for the water. We make it down to the next back road and TG40 pulls out in front.

Whew, I think to myself, I could go for some drafting. She starts going a little faster. And faster....faster. It getting a little tough to keep up, I've long lost any draft. I start to think I should back off as we still have a ways to go. I glanced down at the speedo....19mph??????? WTF????? UP the HILL????!?!!!!!??? I back off.

Two hours later when we catch up (ok, maybe it wasn't that long), she says she had a burst of energy.

A burst of energy.

Yeah, or something like that. So, our world class Ironman, who hung on my wheel the whole way decides to ride at a race pace.

Did I mention she's younger than me? (hold on, I'm looking for some more excuses). This trigirl training thing is going to KILL me. I came home with the usual sore thighs but also sore shoulders and some other things I've forgotten.

Reb, should you decide to, you can hang on my wheel whenever, TG40, I shall be on your wheel. You've shown your cards, the jig is up, and don't think I didn't notice the "RACE TEAM" stickers on your bike. Oh no....I'm only fooled once.

It was a good ride. :-)

3 comments:

TriGirl 40 said...

Hold on a second - you forgot the rest of the burst of energy comment - that it lasted a whole of five minutes!

And I am not that much younger.

But I will continue to use you for drafting as much as I can.

:)

Unknown said...

You were not exactly loafing at any part, except when you and Diane were chatting it up behind me.
No draft for you!

Diane said...

My favorite part was when the out of shape woman in the truck rolled her window down, and with her cigarette dangling out of her mouth yelled to TG40, "You are a goddess!"

BTW, we rode 27.