Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Day Oneish

So, here we go

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Alright, so this isn't from the first day, whatever. A note, all photos I'm posting were shot in Nikon RAW (.NEF) and I used Irfanview to do a quick resize and format change. The web ain't art, and I'm sad to say my photos don't seem to be either. In fairness to myself, I tend to just whip it out, zoom and click with the digital. Obviously that's not possible with that camera up there.
I was in Sedona the first couple of days, where my folks had a place. We went to some park where I shot some photos. Only a short hike in. The photo sizes are odd as I can't seem to get larger ones to show right. I know it has to do with my page format. I'll change it one day.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

That last one is the one I'm counting with the 4x5. It was by far the best shot. I shot all of it on color transparency and B&W. I'll have to get the color processed. I'll do the B&W, but it'll be awhile. I left all my stuff out in AZ with my folks, who'll drive it all back in a week or two.

When I was shooting, I had folks stop and stare, stop and ask questions, stop and copy my shot. They figure if I have all that crap out, it must be good! Seriously, I never know what to say, and I blow it everytime. I mean, perhaps since I've been around photography my whole life and have always known who Ansel Adams was, I knew what a big camera was. Apparently that isn't common, even in people older than I. The first couple asked what it was, and I said Zone VI. They said what? I said, oh, its a 4x5 view camera. Still the looks. The woman asked if I had to go to special school for it. I was stumped. I just said, well, its what that used in the 1800s, so it isn't that tough. Feeling like an ass, I quickly offered to let them look under the dark cloth. There is something quite special about that. They were amazed. I wonder if they noticed the image was upside down and backwards? I suppose not. Later we ran into them and the man said he knew I was a great photographer because he had been there all day and he took my shot and it was his best. Great.

Later a lady came up and asked what it was. I said a view camera. Her response was, I know, what kind. See? Can't win. She felt the need to list all the cameras she owned and how she was considering large format. I guess if I shoot more, I'll get use to it. The forums are filled with the same sort of stories.

Ok, that's it for tonight.

1 comment:

TriGirl 40 said...

Welcome home! The pictures you've posted look amazing! Hope I get to see them in person at some point.

Thanks, too, for the IMFL wishes!