Friday, November 30, 2007

The King is Gone

But he won't be forgotten. I'm not speaking of Johnny Rotten.

I can't remember the first time, but it was probably the early 70s. Most likely after Caeser's. I think it was amazing to any kid, but I know it was for me. I watched everytime. Heck, I remember the emulation on a Big Wheel.

When I was in 3rd grade, I think, my grandfather convinced my Mom to let me have a mini-bike. Anyone my age will remember the pull start Briggs and Stratten motors on these little things. But I had a Honda. Couple of years Later I got a small dirt bike. This was his heyday. It was fun to watch ABCs Wide World of Sports and the long build ups. Then there were the prime time specials.

Today an unlikely hero died. Robert "Evel" Knievel died at 69. Clearly the man lived a full life. He broke most of the bones in his body. He was a thief. He sued Kanye West. He was the man. He was in real life what Steve McQueen was in the movies (but Steve was awesome in his own right).

He had been sick for almost ten years. Contracted hepatitis from one of the zillion pints of blood he got over his life.

Evel, rest in peace bud, you deserve it.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1 comment:

TriGirl 40 said...

Nice tribute to a pretty daring dude! How are the tatts doing?