Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Concert Review

Last week was probably the end of my show going for the year. Unless Bob does a show, I don't see much else coming this fall. Its been a good year for me tho.
Lamb of God twice, Hatebreed, Dropkick Murphys, the mighty SLAYER (where I drove to DC and back with a 102 degree fever), and last week Turbonegro. I feel like I'm missing something.

Anyways, Turbonegro. The first band sounded like Soundgarden. They were ok I guess, but not my thing. The second band I endured. I kind of feel like I might like them, but, they just didn't do it for me. TN was, however, all that they could be.

If you Wiki them, here are are their listed influences: Black Flag, Aerosmith,[1] Venom, Radio Birdman, Motörhead, The Germs[2], Circle Jerks, Ramones, Alice Cooper, Negazione and The Stooges . Of these, I've never heard of Negazione, but the rest are among my favorites. They claim their style is Death Punk, but I can't say I really get that.

Essentially what you have are some mid-30s Norwegian's that look to be a cross between Kiss and the New York Dolls. And oh yeah, they'll kick your ass live. Since the crowd was kind of light, I made the potentially life altering decision to stay at the stage. These guys have a great visual element so I wanted to see it.
NWS!!!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEJGk8qfAgI

While I didn't get that show, I got some great rock and roll. I also got bumps and bruises. Elbowed and kicked. I fell down and someone had to lift me up. Being alone freed me to sing with the crowd that was mostly 20 years younger. I was soaked in sweat (mine and others). These guys can play and they can for sure work a crowd. Seriously, only in rock and roll can an overweight dude, wearing some Clockwork Orange'sque makeup, showing more buttcrack than a plumber, get chicks. Why is it girls think muscians are hot anyway?

So it was well worth the long drive and lack of sleep.
Tomorrow, back to the gym?

2 comments:

Diane said...

Wha - ? Who? God I feel old and out of touch.

TriGirl 40 said...

You and Lyerly need to get together for these concerts. All I can say is that I was happy the lead singer was wearing some gloves.