Friday, October 5, 2007

She's Back

I retrieved my newest wheeled implement last night, a 2000 Suzuki SV650. I got it in the Spring and went through the MSF beginner class to get my license. This is my first street bike.

I rode dirtbikes forever as a kid. Never had one with a ton of power, just beat it around on trails. I loved it. I always wanted a street bike, but it was never really a good time. I'm really a car guy, so I always opted for a car as a toy.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago and the gentle onset of the midlife crisis. Last year I got a tattoo. I am planning some more as I loved the experience. Won't be going overboard but, I will do it again. Then, the end of last year I decided to get my motorcycle license. I signed up for class and came home and announced my decision.

The plan was to borrow my friends bike and ride around, see how I like it. Well, anyone that knows me well will understand that that lasted all of 2 days. I decided the bike I wanted (a friend has one) and I went off to Craigslist. Seems that anything older than about 3 days on Craigslist is probably gone. No one cleans up. In the end I really only found one. Of course I bought it. And, naturally I paid too much.

About a grand later I got it home. I rode and I loved it. Even though I have to watch out for traffic, it is like I remember it. You feel free. You fly. I can just go and go. While illegal, the advent of the iPOD allows me to jam while I'm riding. The only downside is that riding fast comes easy, and riding faster while listening to Slipknot is even easier.

Its hard to find time to ride, but I do it when I can. My bike was in the shop for about the last month. I've had a terrible time with screws and rear tires. So, I had bought a new one and took it to be mounted. They told me it needed a chain, so I forked out the cash for that. Well, seems there was a run on SV chains at the chain store and it was hard to find one. So, I brought it back home last night and took it to work today. Soooo much fun riding.

When I ride I feel.....cool. Everyone looks at you. I guess I like the attention.

Tomorrow a ride. And since all the Tri-girls are tri-ing, I get to ride at 8:15!

Thanks Richard!

1 comment:

Jonah Holland said...

What is it with the motorcycles and triathletes/cyclists? You are not the only TRIgirl with a thing for motorcycles. Oh, wait...you are not a TRIgirl. But maybe you should be? Welcome to the club...