Sunday, October 7, 2007

Hell is for Daddys

Well, it started off ok anyway. Saturday ride with Richard. Its never as fast as it seems like it should be. I think its because of our cool down the last couple of miles really offsets our good pace. Its that math thing I'm not so good at. The other plus was my pedals. Seems maybe I just had my cleats placed wrong. We lucked out and didn't have to unclip the whole ride, but I played in the parking lot and it seems fine. Of course now I'll mess with them some more and totally screw it up. I also went to the Kool Stop salmon brake pads. Again, didn't really stop that much so I can't really say. I just feel like my brakes aren't as solid as they could be. Everyone uses these pads. We'll see. They're cheaper than new calipers.

After that there was some shopping, the dropoff for HSM on Ice (does it ever end?) and way more shopping for needed home implements. The evening brought Mom packing for a trip...and my daughter deciding she couldn't sleep. Hmmm. So, as usual I slept in her room. Today was dropping off Mom at the airport at 0 dark 30.

The event wasn't too bad. We walk back to the car and buckle in. Very little sound from the back seat. Soon, some sniffling. Then a full on cry. I'm driving, not much I can do. This lasts for the 30 minute drive. We got home and went for a nap. She hadn't slept a lot, nor had I, so the nap was good. Mom called and we were happy/sad. Afterwards, off to lunch we go.

At the usual venue, everyone asks where is Mom.....red eyes and tears ensue. Doesn't last long. We come home and its play time. The entire afternoon spent playing with friends. I manage to clean out a car and get some stuff out of the attic. I cook dinner and we watch some Hannah Montana to relax. Mom calls for goodnight. It goes.....ok.

Shortly thereafter I announce shower/bed time. The crying starts. I got her in the shower and it was ok. Until bed. I think she was there 3.2 minutes. Crying comes downstairs. I send her upstairs. Here is where I start feeling like a crappy dad. My daughter is pretty tied to her mom. This needs to not be.

As you would expect, things just go downhill. She wants to call mom. Everything hurts. Shes sick. Its too hard to sleep. I just keep sending her back up. I just feel like if we call, it'll only make things worse, so I hold my ground.

I finally give in a little and lay down with her. She's so tense and there really isn't much I can do about it. I know she's overtired at this point, which only makes things worse. So, after I laid down with her, she fell asleep in about 10 minutes. Poor thing. I sure hope the entire week isn't like this or I'm going to end up turning to booze. Oh wait......

2 comments:

Diane said...

I think little girls just know how to work their Dads. She is just as attached to you - no tears at Indian Princesses, right?

TriGirl 40 said...

I agree with Diane. We girls know how to tug Dad's heartstings. Sounds like you handled it with the perfect dose of firmness and love.

And a little booze after she falls asleep. :)