Thursday, January 31, 2008

The "no" guy

When I worked in video, I got use to people telling me "no, that's not what I wanted". Its part of what burns you out in a creative field.

When I moved to IT it was first at a help desk. Here, people were mad, but you could be their savior, so it wasn't so bad.

In networking, we were GODS. We ruled. We were cocky. We dictated everything. We said no to everything, no matter what. It was great.

Now, I find myself in a different position. I am an enabler, more or less. I coerce. Everyone around me says no. OH MY GOD.

So now, the realization (where are you TriDi), how do I not be Eeyore. I don't want to be that anymore, but I don't know if I can change. I don't like what I see....

3 comments:

TriGirl 40 said...

I don't know, I kind of like Eeyore. Maybe we need more enablers - cause then maybe more real work would actually get done?

REB60 said...

I've been working in IT for long time, and it's changes a lot over the years. A lot of the fun has gone out of it. Even if you're not an Eeyore, I think you can get beat down to one.

Diane said...

Say what you will about Eeyore but the dude always gets it done! Being Eeyore is a good thing.

And aren't you the guy who now says things like, "Century ride? Sure, let's do it. Wintergreen ascent? Okay, I'm in."

Is there a hidden Tigger?!?!?!?